Pages - Menu

Sunday 31 March 2013

The Concrete Jungle


After growing up throughout highschool, spending my weeknights watching Gossip Girl, How I Met Your Mother and of course FRIENDS, words couldn’t describe just how excited I was to finally be in their territory! New York, the concrete jungle, the big apple and the city that never sleeps - you could call it what you like but for me, I’d say ‘my future home’.

We stayed at the Hilton New York in Manhattan, along the Avenue of Americas meaning that it was literally just a block to the famous 5th Avenue! And you know, hello shopping! So, here’s a run down and I’m really excited considering I’ve been so lazy with posting up my trip lately.

(Just a note, it may look like I'm outfit repeating, which I am. I only packed one coat with me and I had no intention of buying another!)

Day 1.
After an uncomfortably long domestic flight from Las Vegas airport to JFK my family and I finally made it to the wintery cold New York. Our taxi driver, Aladdin (yes, that really is his name) decided to give us a rundown of the geographic location of everything; even Brooklyn and Bronx. Once we arrived at the hotel we briefly stopped to check in our luggage and grab a bite to eat; trying to satisfy our cravings for Vietnamese food. Unfortunately, the restaurant we tried out wasn’t that great at all, and rather overpriced. I didn’t care much for it at all I can’t even remember what it was called! The remainder of the day was spent in bed; the jetlag and our lack of overall comfortable sleep had caught up to us and we decided we couldn’t fight it anymore.

oh hello there Times Square!

Day 2.
We started off early in order to compensate for the day before by booking tickets on line and make our way to downtown New York and visit the 9/11 memorial. Whilst we had no family relations to the event, it just felt like something we had to do; pay our respects to all those involved in such a heart breaking event. It was so solemn there I couldn’t help but cry a little. You see over a thousand names engraved along the fountains and spot “and unborn child” next to it or “ladder 21” - they were just trying to do their job and go about their day, it was horrible. But with the sound of the fountains and the site of snow beginning to fall, my family and I began to feel a little relaxed. 

After lunch at a local diner we spontaneously decided to make use of the fact that we were downtown and walk to Battery Park, take a ferry from the pier and visit good old Lady Liberty. Unfortunately once we got to the ticket booth the woman said we couldn’t actually step onto the island since the statue was destroyed from the hurricane but we could take extremely close by pictures from the boat. Fair enough. I only hoped I had worn more clothes considering 3 degree celsius plus being on the Hudson River meant I was frozen.

The statue was pretty cool, I felt pretty cool too. Literally. Like stone.
Just chillin..

Day 3.
We visited our relatives in New Jersey, which is actually such a nice location. It wasn’t what I had thought which was unfortunately because of Jersey Shore. Not a guido in site, but their view of the city at night (omg that rhymed) was incredible!

At the 9/11 Memorial

Day 4.
My sisters and I ventured off down the road to 5th ave and spoilt ourselves in Zara - the stock in Zara was much better than that in Sydney I must say. Even the layout of the store is much more appealing, and the fitting rooms! 
We then met up with my uncle and aunty again who then took us to this outlet they highly recommended in New Jersey; I think it was called Rosebury or something like that. I was upset how they didn’t have Victoria’s Secret but I did buy an American Apparel skirt for $10 which I did wish I had tried on before purchasing it, as well as a stunning bright pink Kate Spade wallet. I now felt pretty when I took out my wallet haha.

I see this sign everywhere, so I had to take a photo as per.
Day 5.
We finally decided to stroll through Central Park; since it was winter the trees weren’t as green but it was in fact snowy! I felt like I’d soon see Blair Waldorf and Dorota feeding the ducks or something like that. The crisp breeze and the smell of nature was a nice change to the smell of kebabs in Times Square. Taking the wrong turn we then found ourselves in the upper west side, not complaining, Chuck Bass lives there and I did in fact take a corny photograph near Hotel Empire. Trust.
Upper East Side view from Central Park
Feeding the duckies at Central Park

It seems as though our whole diet here in New York consisted of: kebabs, pizza, pasta, seafood and Starbucks - all of which I strangely craved all day, every day.

Day 6.
On our second last day my little sister and I ventured off to the upper east side and fulfill our leisurely habit of going to the art museum. We walked through 5th avenue, alongside Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the MET. OR, The museum where Blair Waldorf and her minions sit and have yoghurt. I love art; as a high school art student I really found much excitement going here; to finally be able to see some original Claude Monet works, Picasso, Van Gogh and even Warhol! It was a dream! 
I didn’t want to leave but we had to in order to make it in time for lunch at Shake Shack, a seemingly popular burger joint in New York which meant that I had to call for a cab (just like in the movies hehe) and tell him to take us down to the Theatre district.
I’d have to say, the burgers were quite nice - could it compete with In-n-Out? I guess I’d have to have both to really make up my mind.

This was pretty, and I'm so tiny
Later that day, I finally pestered my parents to come with us to Soho. It was a must that we’d go there and I’d be devastated if I didn’t considering I didn’t get to go up to the Empire State building! I pretty much abused Topshop with my money, and H&M - the two stores I knew Sydney wouldn’t stock as great in. It was already late and the other stores I wanted to visit, like Mango had already closed early. It could only mean one thing, I’d have to return.

Oh hey Chuck..
Our last day
Was completely busy and my older sister and I had a mission; the rest of my family would have to pack ALL of our belongings while the two of us trek back to Soho and exchange some of the goods we bought last night. We didn’t try it, and well, this is what happens right? New York was set for a blizzard later that day so we were quite worried about our flight, as it began to snow whilst we stomped from the massive Macy’s in Times Square (where I abused MAC with my money again) to the subway to Soho. I got distracted by the Victoria’s Secret - telling my sister I’d meet her at Topshop whilst I used up the remaining dollars I had. I pretty much stocked up fairly well, got fitted with my demi bra, paid this, paid that the rest is history.

We then rushed our way back to the Hilton only to find our family sitting in the lobby saying they’ve already checked out and we’re ready to leave.


New York was an amazing experience. It is an amazing city. You can see all the culture, all the talent, everything. The art, the fashion, the food. It’s pretty much everything that I’ve ever been passionate about. Definitely one of my favourite places during this trip.

5 comments:

  1. beautiful pictures :)
    www.stylebykls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! i love your blog :) x

      Delete
  2. NYC is quite the place, isn't it? I lived there after graduating from college in the Midwest. It was crazy, moving from a small town to the huge city. I love the sounds at night. The city seriously never sleeps! I came across your blog and am your newest follower. I would love if you’d visit me at : the daily savant : and (if you like) follow with GFC and Blog Lovin'!

    : signe
    thedailysavant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute blog :):)
    nice pics :)
    do you want to follow each other :)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! Just stumbled upon your blog. Love your catchphrase, "The pepito to my madeline." Made me laugh x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for leaving a comment it actually means the world to me knowing someone is reading! With that being said I do read every comment and try my best to reply. If you'd like me to check out your blog feel free to leave a link, I would best appreciate it if you followed back too!

Much love, Niki :) x

Popular Posts